Option 2: How did the status of enslaved Indians in Virginia change from the mid-seventeenth to the early-eighteenth century? How were these changes linked to shifting laws and ideas about African slavery?
Use a minimum of three sources. Click on the title below to access.
• Metappin, a Powhatan Indian (1662)
• Selected Acts Concerning Indian Slavery in Virginia (1662-1682)
• “An act declaring that baptisme of slaves doth not exempt them from bondage” (1667)
• “An act concerning Servants and Slaves” (1705)—you must use this source
• “Of Servants and Slaves in Virginia”; an excerpt from The History of Virginia by Robert Beverley (1722)